GSSD has seven broad features and functions useful for different users:
- Strategy for integrating & organizing knowledge related to the domain of sustainable development, in multi-dimensional, multi-sector, and international terms.
- Conceptually robust multidisciplinary knowledge base.
- Detailed display of content details for individual topics.
- Method to represent knowledge with interrelated concepts organized in a nested, internally consistent form.
- Search, submission, and retrieval functions, which operate over the system’s quality-controlled knowledge base.
- Multi-lingual knowledge provision search, and submission.
- Reports and Working Papers from GSSD and related MIT-based research.
See section on Knowledge System for details.