Navigation and search mechanisms operate over the GSSD knowledge base. The knowledge base itself is initially generated through prior (screened) selection of quality-controlled materials.
- Graphic navigation options consist of three mechanisms enabling users to:
- Search by slice focusing on subject, topic, or issue (e.g., energy, population, etc.)
- Search by ring focusing on activity, problem or solution type (i.e., specific socio-economic problems, such as distorting effects of energy subsidies, specific technical intervention, etc.)
- Search by cell focusing on the intersection of a specific slice and ring (e.g., scientific and technical solutions to sustainable forest use)
- Text based options consist of two mechanisms:
- Simple search – user-defined text search (e.g., China, energy, population) including term weighting
- Advanced search – user-specified selection of criteria from a complex menu of choices (such as China, solar energy, imports from Japan, concessional rates, for rural use in Northeast China) along with the above text search options.
Search GSSD database here.